Monday, May 01, 2006

A Man Under Authority

“The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority.” (Matthew 8-9a) Here is a pagan military office who came to Jesus with a prepared and humble heart. What prepared him? He was “a man under authority.” He transferred his understanding of submission to authority through simple obedience to His commanders to his relationship with Jesus. The Lord was “astonished” by his great faith. The man’s heart was humble in that he did not consider himself worthy of a personal visit. He was willing to rely upon Jesus’ word “(Just say the word, and my servant will be healed”). We don’t know much more about this centurion except what is disclosed in the text but what is illustrated by the centurion’s actions is that a heart that is practiced in submission to authority and obedience is a better-prepared heart to know Jesus than a rebellious heart. This is why it is so vital that I model to my children that I am “a man under authority.” Just as I, the “seen father” expect their respect and obedience, I need to offer that to the unseen Father. Dear Father, remind me of what is at stake in my humble submission to You. It is not just about me now, but about what I model to my children and my children’s children. By so doing I lay a foundation for their faith in your precious Son

No comments: