Friday, April 22, 2011

God’s Glory In Our Ordinary Relationships

“It is finished.” Such a simple, ordinary phrase. But what unfathomable meaning! The cross of Jesus Christ is the ultimate “glory in the ordinary.” In the Roman world criminals were executed in this slow and cruel manner frequently. It was a harsh, brutal punishment that had become “ordinary” or normal throughout the empire. Rome used it to keep people in line and to fear the authority of the state.

But Jesus reveals that his death on this torturous instrument of execution would glorify God. Before He went to the cross He told His disciples, “Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in Him, God will glorify the Son in Himself and glorify Him at once.” (John 13:31-32) Do you think He said “glorify” enough in that sentence?

The cross of Jesus glorifies, or reveals, the character of God, the essence of who He is, more than any one event in human history. We are made to wonder and marvel at the length that God would go to bring His wayward children back to Himself.

“It is finished,” He cried from the cross. He completed, paid in full a payment that none of us could pay. I could spend an eternity in the agony of separation from God and it still would not be paid.

As I read and reflect this Easter season on what took place I notice what Jesus says right after He speaks about His cross. He tells us to love one another. “A new commandment I give you, love one another as I have loved you. As I have loved you so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)

How can I make this message of His cross best known to others who do not see the wonder of what He has done? It will be through the quality of relationships that I have. This is ordinary, everyday stuff but it is how the Triune God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit-a Divine Community) is most revealed today through His people--through the way we live with each other.

As I am fully forgiven I can forgive. As I am fully accepted I can accept. As I was fully sacrificed for I can sacrifice for others. As I was fully understood in my need I can seek to understand. This is where the power of the cross of Christ will shine through the most in our relationships, especially when they get difficult. Especially when we are wronged.

Just Beginning to Learn to Love as He Loves,

Jamie

Note: Do you have any stories of God’s Glory showing up in the ordinary? I would love to hear them and share them with a larger audience if you would like! Just email me at (JNBohnett@aol.com)

If you are receiving this and would like to receive my blog, “Glory In The Ordinary” sent to your email about 2-3 times a month on the theme of seeing God in the “ordinariness” of everyday life you may just email me at (JNBohnett@aol.com) and I would be happy to have you join me on this journey!

No comments: