Monday, May 01, 2006

Putting What I Have Into Jesus' Hands

-“As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food. Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” “We only have five loaves and two fish,” they answered. “Bring them here to me,” he said. “ (Matthew 14:15-18) The rest as they say is “history.” The Lord was continually pushing his disciples to see first their need for the Father’s provision and secondly for them to see His glory. When He proceeded to feed the 5,000 men (not including the women and children, probably over 10,000 people) He expanded their understanding of who He was. He did this by involving them in the process, “You give them something to eat.” They came up with a measly five little loaves and two sardine-like fish. But put into Jesus’ hands that became a feast! Jesus is doing the same with us today. He will put us in situations beyond our own resources to cope with. He doesn’t do this to torment us but rather to open our eyes to His sufficiency and the Father’s glory. Where am I also facing an impossible situation? I need top put whatever I have, no matter how inadequate I think it is into His hands and watch what He does with it. Dear Father, I admit I have such little faith. My first instinct is not to look to you but to what my own logic and past experience tells me. Take my measly “loaves and fishes” and make a feast to feed the multitudes from it. In Your Son’s Precious Name, Amen

No comments: