Monday, May 01, 2006

Lifing Up Jesus

-“Peter said to Jesus, ‘Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters-one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.’ While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love, with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!” (Matthew 17:4-5) Peter was a bit off here in his initial response, in the way he put Jesus on the same plane as Moses and Elijah, who embodied the law and the prophets. Jesus wasn’t just a man like they were but He was the holy, eternal Son of God! Someone once said, “What makes individuals great is their ability to decide what is truly important, and then focus all their attention of that.” Peter, at this point in his life was not able to attain that kind of greatness by grasping the preeminence of Jesus...so the Father gave him a gentle reminder that he would help him see Jesus as He truly was, “transfigured …His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.” (Matthew 17:2) As a dad, I need to continually lift up Jesus to my family so that they may focus their attention upon Him. Dear Father, remind me to lift up your Son at all times in my home so that You are seen in your glory. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recall my teen-age niece at her HS graduation, which was years after her parents divorced, still lamenting the fact that she had multiple sets of parents. "Why can't I be like my friends?"