Monday, March 20, 2006

The "Protruding Plank" In My Own Eyes

-“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eyes.” (Matthew 7:3) Why is it so easy to be so critical of my wife and my children? Why is it so hard to take responsibility to take responsibility for what I CAN control in my life (my own attitudes and behaviors) and so easily to take responsibility for what I CANNOT control (my family members’ attitudes and behaviors)? This must be part of my “fallenness,” becoming morally irrational and foolish. It is no wonder that our children today struggle with taking responsibility for their actions. What have I modeled and taught? When I am wrong, do I humbly come and ask their forgiveness? With men today a repeated pattern that comes up is that very few have had in any modeling from their fathers when it comes to humble contrition towards their family members. It must start with us then so that this generational curse of stubborn father pride is not passed to future generations. Dear Father, please change my family members to become more like Your Son but start with me. Forgive me for being a “speck inspector” when all the while I have remained blind to the protruding plank in my own eyes!

No comments: